Double Chin

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Woods painting


Tonight I felt the need to pull out the gouche. I used to hate gouche back when I had to do tedious flat work with it at ACAD (Alberta College of Art and Design.) But last year at Sheridan I discovered that it can be used much more freely and interestingly, and less painstakingly.

I love the textures gouche makes, the naive quality about it, the vibrant colors, and it's unforgiving nature- you just have to go for it, there's not much 'fixing' mistakes. You just gotta roll with it. I like that. So then, tonight, I got home from Reading Night* at Eliot's, I badly needed to get the paints out. I planned out an image very quickly (in a minute or so) in my sketchbook, and then just started painting, without letting myself draw anything out. I want to start working more spontaneously, to trust my whims and intuition more, to make decisions and then following them, without room for wimpy hesitation. I want to do more of my exploration of materials and subject matter while in the process of making images, not in laborious planning stages that never come to anything.

I like it, as a starting point to more paintings.
I really need to find a way to post better resolution pictures. Blogger always seems to compress things down. That painting's neat textures have been messed up and supressed. BLAH.

* About once a week, at Eliot's, a group of us get together and each bring something to read to the others (and it can be pretty much anything.) It's great, I get exposed to so many stories, books, essays, etc. that I wouldn't think to read, on my own.

2 Comments:

  • Hey Sarah! Yay for gouache indeed (it's spelled gouache, by the way ;) ), and yay for spontaneous paintings too! :D I think you could reveal more of the scan's texture by playing around with the levels in photoshop (image->adjust->levels), I tried it with your image and it seemed to work nicely, although the colors might get a bit more vibrant than in the original(?). See ya!

    By Blogger Guillaume, at 10:58 AM  

  • Hey Guillaume! You know, I always have so much trouble figuring out how to spell your name. Lucky for me it's right here in your post to copy from. :p
    About levels, I actually already did a lot of playing around with the levels and colors in photoshop (because the scan was very dull), and the textures were coming through fine in the JPEG that is saved. It was just when I uploaded the image to blogger, the detail got supressed (by compression.) Know what I mean?
    But thanks for the tip, anyhow!! It really makes me want to forgive you for being French. :D mwahahaha.

    By Blogger Sarah, at 11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home