Double Chin

Monday, April 24, 2006

"Hartley" by Alice Neel
The time has come, it seems, for me to step past the safety of cute and generalized ideas. I have to be honest in creating art, and that thought terrifies me, much as it always has, because when I allow the truth to come out in my work, there's negative consequenses- all the ugliness, the contradictions, and biases in me (that exist in everyone, but is covered in social nicities and acceptable personas) is there for everyone to see. I'm afraid of truth because:
-it is very subjective, not everyone agrees; but opinions that don't evolve and change will die.
-it's not always pretty
-people like pretty things, safe things, comfort... and many people I love very much will not like my art if I'm honest. It's happened before. And that terrifies me.


But events in my life recently, along with the inspiration of some fantastic artists, have led me to understand that I can't continue to meander along the edges of honesty, always holding back. It's time to stop caring what other people think, or what makes them uncomfortable, and do the things I have to do.

I dislike the self-importance of this sort of discussion, but it's a neccesary evil towards taking one's self seriously.

The paintings of Alice Neel are incredible, and dig straight to the bone. She was a very couragous woman.

Nancy and Olivia, by Alice Neel

Rag in Window, by Alice Neel

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home