Double Chin

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Photoshopping

Photoshopping: It's like Cowtipping, but with more photos and shopping. And less cow poop. Usually.

I've been putzing around in photoshop, reaquainting myself with the program. I havn't really done much digital painting in the last several years (with a couple exceptions, such as when Giullaume gave some lessons a little while ago), and before that I was using Paint Shop Pro. So it's learning-curve time, playing with the different tools, learning about all the masks and levels and brushes.... I'm challanging some rules I had in my head, that basically said using tools is cheating. As though using computer manipulations is just a crutch. Well, it can be, but it also can be an opportunity for expanding what's possible. I'm also taking on my "never ever use photos for anything" rule, and am starting to manipulate and use pictures I've taken myself. It's crazy how years of drawing with the same methods can build up such a list of do's and don'ts, that creativity can be severly restricted. Man, I used to think texture and pattern was a lazyman's game, but now I'm just nuts about it's potential. And collage: it's fun! Neat!

And now, "The Lab Results", featuring "New Experiments" ie. "Having Fun with Visuals"






The last illustration's my favorite. I love it's lack of slickness.
And now, the most awesome picture I've ever taken. I love everything about it, the colors, the odd composition, the content, the washed-out-ness... I can die happy now. My artistic purpose is fullfilled.


Final note: I very much want to get a copy of Painter. I've wanted to use that program for years and never have got my grubby impoverished little hands on it.

7 Comments:

  • sarah - I have a copy of painter you can have - I'll bring it next time I'm in Oakville - or prhaps et it up one day if you have the interweb at home thru a file transfer on MSN - call me we'll set it up.

    -R.

    ps. I need to update my blog.

    By Blogger Randeep Katari, at 9:55 AM  

  • Randeep! I'm affronted that you would suggest that I would be interested in ILLEGALLY obtaining a copy of a copywritten software program! I would never do something so morally aprehensible!!

    .....

    Yes, totally update your blog, I want to see what you've been up to! How's the government job going? Routine and overpaid? lucky duck.

    By Blogger Sarah, at 5:53 PM  

  • Show up to life drawing and a corel representative might show up with a copy of it or something.

    Seriously, they do it all the time.

    By Blogger Cookedart, at 11:46 PM  

  • Oh by the way I really like the image with ze trees. Very cool.

    By Blogger Cookedart, at 11:47 PM  

  • hehe, I actually am going to show up at lifedrawing tonight, no joke. I'm really excited about it.
    And if there isn't a Corel representative, you's getting a beating, Alan! Just for toying with my emotions!
    oh, and thanks (about the trees image!)

    By Blogger Sarah, at 9:00 AM  

  • Sarah - those are awesome! Just very very cool (to me anyhow).
    That is all.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:14 PM  

  • Thanks, Katie! I wish I knew who you are!
    Are you Katie, as in, my sister Katie, or another Katie?
    regardless, thank you for the kind words!

    By Blogger Sarah, at 6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home