Double Chin

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

cartoons, photos, and a text collage







I have a confession: I've had next to no interest in drawing, lately. Beyond drawing out some observations and doodling here and there (and a some lifedrawing sketches, caricatures, and and studies of compositions and poses in magazine photography), my sketchbook has, of late, become filled with words, collages, magazine clippings, typography (the influence of Eliot) and ideas for fabric patterns. My cartoon drawing abilities are definitely suffering for lack of practice. But Eliot made a good point about that; I'd mentioned how frustrated I was with the fact that I didn't seem to feel like drawing cartoons, and he replied "Why do you have to draw cartoons?" I'd never even thought about that, before. I guess, I... I don't HAVE to, do I?

Nonetheless, I think this is probably just another cycle of interests, and drawings/cartoons will have it's day again.

5 Comments:

  • The top blue guys sort of remind me of the old Disney shorts style. Heheh, pretty sweet for lack of cartooniness :P

    By Blogger Halya, at 8:12 PM  

  • Hey very-near-future roomie! Thanks for visiting my blog -- what a treat!

    Hey, check out Marlo Meekins's's latest post (marlomeekins.blogspot.com) It's the answer to your questions! (even though Eliot, in his infinite wisdom, has already answered your questions)

    By the way, I LOVE your blog! It's fun! Those kitties lower down squeeze my heart!

    By Blogger Mitchel Kennedy, at 7:02 PM  

  • Pee Ess:
    Your hair is so long!

    By Blogger Mitchel Kennedy, at 7:03 PM  

  • Hey Sarah,

    You know I find this Post interesting.
    In the Past few months I've experienced a lack of interst in Drawing as well. But thankfully my work has kept me in practice mode.

    I guess a few of us do go through those emotions depending on personal circumstances. As Aritistic people, we follow our emotions to a certain extent, and thats a good thing.

    So like you Said, We dont HAVE to draw when we dont feel like it.
    Infact I distanced myself from it a bit. I looked into other things that interest me.

    Suddenly I found this renewed sense of respect for drawing. I had a new relationship with it.

    Now I only draw when its fun to me, when the drawing i do maintains a fresh innocence.
    Challenging myself but keeping it fun.

    I dont know if i made anysense lol!!!
    But it was fun Saying it

    By Blogger Saud Boksmati, at 3:16 AM  

  • Saud,
    Yes, what you said makes sense. And I entirely relate to what to mean about finding a new relationship with and respect for drawing. When it's just something that's done constantly, just out of force of habit... it gets so stale and uninvolving. But that turning, that new relationship with it, I can feel it coming.

    I havn't seen your work in a while, and just checked out your blog- your new sketches do look so refreshed, very immediate. lovely lovely work.

    It's very awesome to hear from you, it's been a while!



    Halya,
    I havn't been watching too many old Disney shorts, but lately I have been totally digging a bunch of other old (30s ish I think) cartoons, God Bless rubber hose animation!

    Mitch,
    Thanks for the link, the things that Marlo was talking about was great, really hit the spot.
    And ah, yes, the kittens. Man and beast alike fall powerless for the heart-sqeezing power of their fuzzy sweetness. They shall soon rule the earth.

    By Blogger Sarah, at 11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home