Double Chin

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

smorsh.

So, I took photos of the completed mother and child sculpture/dolls piece that I made for my mom, HOWEVER I left them on my brother's computer. So until he sends them to me, I am itchily wanting to post them but unable. BLARG!

So anyhow, here's something I did today- I tried crumpling up tin foil and covering it with sculpty to make a bust, and man, you save so much clay that way! And it takes way less time to bake. nice.
In case no one has noticed over the past... year or so... I've been flailing about artistically, trying different mediums and subjects and approaches to making art... trying to find what that one thing for me is. And, well... nope, I havn't had that AH-HAH! moment, yet. Nothing seems to say "this is that medium you will work with for the rest of your life. This is your calling." I'm still restless. But... I am still loving the journey. Exploration is bloody exciting.

Over Christmas break, I completed a series of tests with a doctor... and I officially, certifiably, an ADHD girl. My mind likes to wander like nobody's business. And my intellectual abilities are in the 97-99 percentile of the population, but my paying attention and focusing on a task are at 30%. Shite. Quite a discrepency, no? It's no wonder I've always felt very smart, and yet very dumb. It's good to finally know what's going on, though. Makes it easier to figure out what working strategies will be better for me.

Oh yes, so anyway, here's the new sculpture! It was fun to really twist with the expression, my God I love the human face so friggin much. fun fun fun. And it took way less time that those mother and kid heads. Now I'm more familiar with the medium. Next I will paint it up. Maybe add some hair, we'll see.


2 Comments:

  • haha what a funny expression... looks like it should be in that book we were looking at at rick's... what's-his-name, the court sculptor who went crazy and started doing those incredible expressions, like "a revolting smell" or "man in a rage"... remember those? what would you call this one?

    -eliot

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:07 PM  

  • I would call this one "a perturbing sound". As soon as you mentioned that artist (yeah, I can't remember his name, either!!), I realized that I DID have his work in mind while making this, just not quite in the upper conscious levels of my brain.

    By Blogger Sarah, at 7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home